Monday, July 21, 2014

Going Green...Starts with a Simple Green Smoothie

Sis, I found such a refreshing smoothie recipe online that is so easy to make and tastes yummy!  

A big thanks goes to the founders of Simple Green Smoothies for this recipe.  See below a cute recipe card they developed that one can use as reference.  You can print a copy of this recipe and post on your refrigerator door so that you are reminded of the various ingredients you can blend together to create your own special smoothie.


For my green smoothie, I used the following ingredients that I can easily get at my neighborhood supermarket :

2 cups romaine lettuce
2 cups water
2 bananas (medium sized)
1 cup cut fresh pineapple
1 red apple (medium sized)

I blended the romaine and water first, then added the rest of the ingredients to the mix,  fresh bananas, apples and the frozen pineapples I had cut and stored in my freezer a few days earlier.  My yummy smoothie was ready in less than a  minute.



With this recipe, I was able to make three medium sized glasses which I consumed  throughout the day.   One smoothie glass served as my morning snack, the second smoothie I took in the afternoon and the last I took an hour before bedtime.



So why have I started making green smoothies at home?

Well, for the past couple of months my body has been asking for it.  Plus, the one week detox (check out my June post)  I joined last month,  made my body all the more want for better types of nourishment.  I am not kidding!  It wants food I can readily digest,  tastes fresh, and food that helps makes me feel lighter overall.

My journey to eat better quality types of food is going to be a long process.  It will take months and years before I reach a point where I am 110% happy with my food choices.  We all have to start somewhere, right?

No comments :

Post a Comment